The John Ingram Bivouac No. 5 was organized in Jackson in 1888, being
affiliated with the Tennessee Association of Confederate Soldiers and
Camp No. 37, United Confederate Veterans, Tennessee Division.
The United Confederate Veterans is a general association having
organizations in all of the Southern states, each organization being
known as a Bivouac. The local organization in Jackson is known as Camp
37, Tennessee Division and was established in 1891. It is identical in
membership with the John Ingram Bivouac.
In 1889 the association of United Confederate Veterans was organized at
New Orleans and since then has held annual reunions in various cities of
The John Ingram Bivouac originally had 250 regular and 6 honorary
members. In the long stretch of years since its founding many brave men
who wore the gray in the stirring days when cannon-balls shrieked and
took their toil of death, have passed to their reward.
Of the 250 original members of John Ingram Bivouac but 163 are now
living. Jackson is proud of the fine old gentlemen, stooped and seamed
by the passing years, who fought so gloriously for a principle they
believed right and these noble men, in the evening of their lives, are
aided and helped by the loving ministrations of the Musidora C. McCorry
Chapter No. 5 of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, organized in
in April 1895.
The good ladies of this organization devote special attention to the
care of Confederate cemeteries, erection of monuments to the heroic
dead. decoration of their graves and looking after indigent veterans.
Musidora C. McCorry Chapter No. 5 has endeared itself not only to the
veterans whom it has aided so nobly, but it has also gained the
approbation of all the younger citizens of Jackson who realize the
spirit in which the kind deeds are done.
The spirit and progress of the city of Jackson is but a reflection of
the untiring efforts of these fine old veterans and the good women of
all denominations who have always fostered all that was best in civic
development. The business history of Jackson, subsequent to the Civil
War, was made by the veterans of many a hard fought campaign who
returned from the strife of battle to enter the business arena.
Many of the survivors are still in active business, while others have
retired, turning their affairs over to their sons.
Jackson is proud of them and is made better by their
Influence and ripened knowledge of all phases of life.
Source: THE JACKSON SUN, May 30, 1923
Commander Blankenship at Capt. John Ingram's
History of the Denmark Danes
The "Denmark Danes" was organized by John B. Ingram on
May 15, 1861 as the 6th Tennessee Regiment Company K.
The regiment was organized for the Provisional Army of Tennessee at Camp
Beauregard (Camp Fair), Jackson, on May 23, 1861. It moved to Union City
on May 26, 1861, where it was reported on July 31, 1861, with 851 men,
armed with flintlock muskets. From Union City it moved to Camp Blythe,
near New Madrid, Missouri, where it was transferred to Confederate
service, and placed in a brigade with the 9th Tennessee Infantry
Regiment with Colonel Stephens in command of the brigade, in Brigadier
General Benjamin F. Cheatham's Division. It was present at Columbus,
Kentucky, but not actively engaged in the Battle of Belmont November 7,
1861. On March 9, 1862 the brigade, still under Colonel Stephens, was
enlarged by the addition of the 7th Kentucky Infantry, the 21st
Tennessee Infantry Regiment, and Smith's Mississippi Battery.
Following the evacuation of Columbus, Kentucky, the regiment moved to
Corinth, Mississippi, via Humboldt and Union City, and was heavily
engaged in the Battle of Shiloh on April 6-7. At Shiloh, the brigade
consisted of one battalion from Maney's 1st Tennessee, the 6th and 9th
Tennessee, the 7th Kentucky Regiments, and Smith's Battery. Colonel
Stephens was in command till 2:30 P.M. on April 6, when Colonel George
Maney took over command. The regiment suffered casualties at Shiloh of
nearly 500 men, and several companies reported the loss of their muster
rolls and company records.